No products in the cart.
THE SAINTE VICTOIRE TERROIR
Within the Côtes de Provence, the Sainte Victoire designated area brings out the potential of a Prime Wine Terroir. The unique combination of soil and climate has an important impact on the personality of the wines.
The strata are lime stones of the secondary Cretaceous and Jurassic. The superficial cover of the soil is made of cobbles washed down from the Sainte Victoire Mountain. The soil is made of 60% pebbles and 40% clay. This poor, well-drained terroir favors low-yield resulting in intensely flavoured and structured wines.
It has the characteristics of a Mediterranean climate:
– Hot and dry summers, mild winters
– Heavy rainfall over a few days in autumn and spring
– A dry wind, the Mistral, which has positive effects on the vines health
– Abundant sunshine.
But the Sainte Victoire area benefits from a different climate from other areas of Provence. The Sainte Victoire Mountain on one side and the Sainte Baume range on the other create a natural barrier reducing rainfall and the maritime influence. Therefore creating a micro-climate closer to the continental climate with a lower amount of rain and the greatest variation in temperature in Provence.
The specific Terroir of the Sainte Victoire has an important impact on the personality of the wines. In order to enhance the expression of the Terroir, we have a strict wine making process:
1. A selection of the best plots marked by limestone.
2. Well-suited grape varieties with a focus on Syrah and Grenache.
3. A lower yield than the Côtes de Provence.
4. A final tasting which grants the AOP Sainte Victoire if the quality is high enough.